Russell L. Bush, MD, MPH
Chief Medical Examiner
Bennie T. Woodward Jr.
Public Health Center
1600 N. Michigan Ave
5th Floor, Room 503
Saginaw, MI 48602
Phone: (989) 792-6052
Fax: (989) 792-6053
Pager: (989) 222-1642
General Office hours
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Monday thru Friday, except for holidays
Office may be closed periodically due to work outside the office.
- Death investigation coordinated with police departments
- Unexpected/suspicious deaths
- Work with families concerning the death of their loved one
- Funeral homes
- Cremation Permits
- Disinterment/Reinterment Permits
- Death Certificates
To provide Saginaw County with medico-legal death investigation services for deaths requiring public inquiry to…
- determine a decedent’s cause and manner of death
- facilitate closure for families
- discover and gather evidence to assist the legal system in assignment of responsibility
- protect the public’s health and safety in a…
- Cost-effective and
- Culturally sensitive manner while…
- participating in appropriate research efforts to effect and stimulate meaningful public policy
- improve the quality of community health care
- and promote residents’ improved health and wellbeing
The purposes of the Office of Medical Examiner are to investigate and determine the cause1 and manner2 of all individuals’ deaths occurring within Saginaw County that fall within Medical Examiner jurisdiction. Another purpose is to complete decedents’ Death Certification and other permits as required by Michigan statute.
1Cause of death: The sequence of biophysiological events leading to and individual’s death.
2Manner of death: The type of death, which would fall within one of the five accepted categories: Natural, Accident, Homicide, Suicide, or Indeterminate.